Friday, July 16, 2010

Friday, July 16

Chemo Round 3, Day 14

Today was a pretty quiet day. There wasn't a lot of vomitting or any major catastrophes. I found washable waterproof bed pads (like the hospital has) online and ordered a few to help save on having to change the sheets and mattress pad on a daily basis; they should be here tomorrow (not a moment too soon!) This evening I got the Neupogen injection ready, but I just couldn't bring myself to give it, so Bill had to. We put ice on the spot beforehand, so when Bill put the needle in, Collin didn't even flinch; but he did cry when Bill had to draw the plunger back a bit to check for blood and then push the plunger to administer the medicine. The home nurse said yesterday that the medicine burns going in, and can cause nausea and vomitting (something new for a change!), diarrhea, headache, and bone pain. I do think when Collin had the Neupogen in the hospital it eventually made him uncomfortable, so I'm keeping a close eye on him. I'm also monitoring his temperature closely; so far so good.

Today during lunch Collin used his right hand to take the spoon from my hand to feed himself; it was the first time he's done so with the right hand. He also was really trying to copy Neya when she was talking to him, and some of the sounds he made were pretty clearly imitations of her. It's a lot fun to hear him make new sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment