Thursday, June 17, 2010

Thursday June 17

Chemo Round 2, Day 10

The side effects of this second round of chemo have finally caught up with Collin. He spent the whole day in bed, unable to tolerate any therapy, eating, etc. He started vomiting last night, then again this morning, and all day long. Now it's not just mucus, it's coming from his stomach. He has thrown up any meds that were given through his feeding tube, so everything that could be switched to IV administration instead of oral administration has been changed. His IV fluids have been increased, and the TPN (IV nutrition) has been restarted. Since he couldn't keep any oral meds down, his Methodone has been stopped and he's been put back on the Morphine pump. He is receiving three anti-emetic medications around the clock. He developed a fever today, so blood cultures were taken to test for infection, and he was started on two broad-spectrum antibiotics. He is also receiving the GCSF to increase his white blood cell production. I knew this was coming, but it doesn't make it any easier to handle. After seeing Collin make such amazing progress over the last few weeks, it's really hard to see him feeling so yucky, even though it will only last for a few days. I was very down today, and it was made worse by the fact that I didn't get to see Bill and Neya today because she had her dressed rehearsal for her dance recital this evening. The recital is Saturday, and I feel torn because I can't be in two places at once. I know Neya understands that I can't be there, but it's still disappointing to both of us. I miss my family.

6 comments:

  1. Kim Harbison says: Great to hear about all the progress Collin is making in therapy and will be walking soon. It must be difficult to have to miss events in Neya's life, I am sure she understands. Make sure Bill takes a video and you can watch it together. Remember to take care of yourself. My thoughts are with you daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You poor dear. Your daughter, as young as she is, understands that Collin needs you far more at this point. Enjoy the video with her afterward - then you get the added benefit of being able to enjoy the performance WITH her. :) We are all thinking of you and praying for you (and crying with you!)

    Lots of love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have Neya put on her costume and perform for you and Collin. Praying the side effects subside quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything that I could have said has already been said so it seems silly to repeat ... I would just say 'ditto' to everything!

    I want you to know that I, along with all who love you, check in daily. We celebrate with you and we cry with you! We become angry at insensitive louts with you and applaud those who give you incredible support.

    Neya is an 'old soul'. She's been here before and is here now to help you and Collin through this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jen! I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and your family. I'm so sorry Collin isn't feeling well after this round of chemo. Hopefully he will feel better soon, and we can talk about sending you home! Please sleep well tonight. I'm sending you love and comfort and hugs.

    Colette

    ReplyDelete