Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Friday, June 25

I spent the morning packing up our belongings and getting ready to go home. It's amazing how much we accumulated in one tiny hospital room! It was very difficult to say goodbye to our nurses and therapists; in a way they have become like family. They have been there for us, supporting us, educating us, cheering for us, sharing in our joy and heartache over the last two months, some of which was the lowest point of my life. I know we will see them again in just a few weeks, but I will miss them while we are gone; they are some of the most amazing people I will ever meet.

Walking into my house this afternoon was an awesome experience. I never thought of my house as luxurious, but it sure felt that way today! After hugging our dog, who I had missed immensely, I walked from room to room and just absorbed the feeling of being home. I'm not sure what Collin thought, since he can't really tell me. Neya brought him some of his toys, and he pointed to them right away and seemed eager to play with them. It's hard though, since he can't just run to whatever he wants to play with.

Eventually, I started the overwhelming task of trying to get organized. I had to get all of Collin's supplies and medications figured out and set up. A home nurse came late in the afternoon to teach us how to administer the IV antibiotic that had to be given for three more days. I realized that in the chaos of getting home, I had forgotten to give a dose of medication; even though it wasn't a critical one, I still felt guilty and worried that I wouldn't be able to handle the responsibility of Collin's care very well. But we survived the day, and I will use the weekend to finish getting organized and get into some sort of manageable routine.     

No comments:

Post a Comment