Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sunday, June 20

Chemo Round 2, Days 12 & 13

The weekend was quiet. On Saturday, Collin received another transfusion of packed red blood cells, and another transfusion of platelets. He is still receiving antibiotics to treat the infection he has. He had no major vomiting episodes, but he did have one very messy diaper. It was his first BM since Wednesday, and luckily he was sitting on my lap at the time, so I ended up wearing the mess. Oh well, into every mother's life a little poop will fall. At least I'm willing to bet his stomach felt better afterwards. Bill and Neya visited for a short time in the morning, and then they had to leave to get to Neya's make-up and hair appointments for her dance recital Saturday night. After the recital, they stopped by the hospital so I could see Neya all dressed in her recital outfit. She was so beautiful, and the sight of her brought tears to my eyes. She looked so grown up, and not once did she ask why I couldn't be there. She had so much fun, and said she wasn't nervous at all. I'm so proud of her, and I'm sorry I couldn't be there to see the recital in person. I'm looking forward to getting the dvd and watching it with her.

Today (Sunday), Bill and Neya spent the whole afternoon here, which was nice because I really missed them on the days they weren't able to be here because of recital practice. When they walked in this afternoon, Collin was so excited to see them (he always is). He enjoyed playing with Neya; while he was in the highchair after lunch, she gave him paper and colored pencils and tried to get him to draw. He seemed to enjoy himself. We talked about how she will be such a big helper when he comes home, and she was thinking of all the things she can help him do. Collin's counts are slowly starting to rise, and they are still talking about sending us home soon. I'm really looking forward to it, but I'm afraid to get too excited because the one thing that seems to be constant lately is that nothing ever goes quite as planned. So for now I'll be cautiously optimistic. I did my third broviac dressing change today, so that I can learn how to do them at home. I will prefer to have a nurse help me, but I think if it came down to it, I could do it on my own.

Overall, the weekend was boring, which is a good thing in the world of chemo. It was nice to spend Father's Day together, even if it was in the hospital.


5 comments:

  1. Jenn,

    I will be more than happy to come over and do his Broviac dressing changes for you. 329-1831 at any time of day or night. Im only right down the road. Give my man a kiss for me and tell him I said Im so proud of him. I'm getting over a headcold and thats why I havent been up lately. Love u guys!!!

    Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, she looks so grown up I can't stand it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neya, you are SUCH a lovely young lady! You are a wonderful sister to Collin and you make your parents very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn....thank you, I will definitely call you if/when I need help!

    Greer...I know, me either!

    Natalie...You are so right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful young lady! A princess for sure - and her little prince! :) So glad you could all celebrate Neya and Collin's FANTASTIC FATHER together :D He is one awesome guy!!!

    ReplyDelete