Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sunday, May 16

Chemo Round 1, Day 2

Today was pretty quiet. The room we were in was the smallest on the hall, so our nurse decided to move us to a slightly larger room. Collin had the same chemo as yesterday, and tolerated everything well. When she heard that the sodium chloride makes Collin vomit, his night nurse tried diluting it with a little of the formula normally given through his feeding tube, and then splitting it into two doses given a half hour apart. It worked! She made a note in his chart so that everyone will know to give it the same way.

When Bill and Neya came in for their nightly visit/dinner date with me, Collin was much more alert. We watched him stick his left leg in the air and use is left hand to play with the blood pressure cuff that was around his shin. It was nice to see him alert, comfortable, and having purposeful movements on his own. I told Neya how important it would be for her to tell Bill or me if she felt like she was the slightest bit sick, and she asked why she'd want to tell us if it meant we wouldn't let her come to see Collin. I realized she had to understand how serious the situation is, so I explained that the chemo drugs will make Collin so sick that the slightest infection would be very very serious. She said, "You mean he could die?!" and I told her I didn't want to scare her, but yes. I told her I'd rather her not come in for a few days than to have something horrible happen, and she agreed. No six year old should have to face such a possibility, and it hurt not to be able to sugar coat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment