Thursday, August 16, 2012

Sunday, August 12, 2012

I was looking forward to a relaxed weekend, but it wasn't meant to be this weekend. Saturday morning I went to get my haircut. When my mom and I left, Collin was fine. When we got home an hour and a half later, my dad said he had taken Collin's temperature because he had thrown up; the first time it was 101, and the second time it was 102. I took it again, and it had climbed to 102.5, so I immediately called the hospital. We loaded our stuff into the car, and off we went to the MD Anderson Emergency Center. My adrenaline was high, because I know how quickly things can happen, and we're not a quick ten minutes away from the hospital like we are at home. Thankfully we got there without Collin getting worse. They took blood for cultures, started him on broad spectrum antibiotics, and admitted him to the pediatric floor. He was tentatively scheduled to have a platelet transfusion Monday afternoon, but his level was significantly lower than it was Thursday, so he got platelets Saturday evening. I also had to give him another G-CSF shot because his white count was still very low. By the end of the day, Collin's fever was down to normal, he was keeping food down, and was clearly feeling better.



Collin in the emergency center


Collin sleeping while getting antibiotics


So today, Collin will continue to have his antibiotics. Tomorrow he will be transported via ambulance to the Proton Center for his radiation treatment. The doctor said this morning that if the cultures are still negative by tonight or tomorrow, and Collin's counts come up enough, he may be discharged later tomorrow after radiation. Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. He looks so sweet! It breaks my heart that he has to go through all this...

    Kathy
    Ashton's Grandmother

    ReplyDelete