Thursday, August 16, 2012

Friday, August 10, 2012

This week has been so busy that it's flown by...I can't believe it's Friday! Our schedule is grueling, and it's probably not helped by the fact that I've chosen to drive back and forth for now-it certainly takes up more of my time and adds to my exhaustion. But it's a trade-off; in return for driving back and forth, Collin and I get to see Neya every day, and have is family support and help when we get home. So the drive is worth it even though it can be difficult. It's a good thing my perspective has been changed over the last few years, and a lot of things don't bother me the way they used to. Traffic can be unbelievable at certain times of the day, but I'm not letting it get to me.

Radiation seems to be going pretty well. So far, Collin doesn't seem to be feeling too sick from it. Sunday he threw up without warning as he finished eating his dinner, and Tuesday it happened again (that time it was in the hospital cafeteria after a very long day...I'll spare you the details, but let me just say it was NOT fun!) I've started giving him Zofran every 8 hours, which seems to be helping. I don't know if these incidents were related to the chemo he recently finished, or the radiation, but I'm very glad it's only been a few times! Collin asks me questions every day about radiation, such as "Why I need radiation, Mommy?", "I have more radiation tomorrow?", "Why I go to sleep for radiation?" and "I eat after radiation?" He tells me he doesn't like taking the medicine that makes him go to sleep, and sometimes he tells me he's afraid. I can't even describe how it feels to hear him say that; it breaks my heart. I've seen him put to sleep countless times, but it's still unnerving. And to see him positioned on the gantry, with the mask over his face and bolted to the table...it really looks barbaric. But the radiation staff are amazing, wonderful people, and they take great care of Collin, so I know he's in good hands.

Collin's Radiation Mask

Collin needed another blood transfusion Tuesday because his hemoglobin had again dipped below 10. Then because his white blood cell count had gone so low, meaning his immune system is basically non-existant, I had to start giving him the G-CSF (neupogen) shots. At home, Bill gives the shots, but since he's back in PA, I have to give them. They have gone amazingly well, and Collin hasn't cried at all during them (except when he and Neya fight over who gets to put on the band-aid!) I feel much more confident giving the shots now than I have in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment