Monday, September 12, 2011

Monday, September 12, 2011

September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. I have been trying to post differents facts, quotes, etc. everyday on my Facebook page as my way of spreading awareness. Awareness leads to funding which leads to research which leads to cures. I know the facts and the stories I share are often grim, depressing, and hard to read. But as a parent of a child fighting cancer, I can't ignore any part of it. More than once I thought I was going to watch my baby die. I truly cannot imagine a worse experience than losing a child, but cancer takes kids away from their parents every single day. I can't know that is happening and not want to change it. But I'm not a doctor, I can't cure cancer. So I'm doing the only thing I can think of to do: fight, by increasing awareness and raising funds for research. I want something good to come out of the suffering that cancer warriors and their families go through, and I hope that my kids won't ever have to see their own children suffer through the battle. And, God forbid, if Collin's cancer were to return, or he ends up with a secondary cancer from the chemo used to fight this cancer, I want him to have more options and better treatments to help him survive.

In earlier posts I mentioned another little fighter, Conner, who was treated at Penn State Hershey Children's Hospital and then at CHOP. Conner received his angel wings on September 4 with his parents by his side. Please keep his family in your prayers as they grieve and try to carry on without their beloved son. Also remember the families of some other little fighters who have earned their wings in the last week: Lennon, Layla, Gabby, and Faith. Fly high sweet angels!

Collin had his latest clinic appointment today. He was waving and saying hi to  all of the wonderful clinic staff, and even answered a few simple questions. Part way through the doctor's exam, Collin decided he was ready to leave, and started crying "go go go go go!" He drew a small crowd of doctors and nurses because they're not used to hearing him cry much. The doctor told Collin he would make the exam quick, and in the midst of his screaming he opened his mouth and said "Ahhh" or pointed to where the stethescope should go just like the doctor asked. It really was kind of funny. Then it was time for his blood draw, and (thanks to lidocaine cream) he sat still and didn't cry or flinch as the port was accessed. He's always such a trooper! I was excited to learn that he has gained another quarter of an inch in height since his last visit on August 15. He is also scheduled for surgery on October 14 to have his mediport removed. After the port is out, he'll have to go to the lab for bloodwork (instead of the awesome clinic nurses doing it), and I just hate the thought of him suffering through the needle sticks again. I won't necessarily know where to put the lidocaine cream since it will depend on where they can find a good vein. I guess if I have to, I'll bring the cream with me and after they find a good vein, I'll put the cream on and wait for the hour it takes to numb the site. But even though it makes me nervous, getting his port out is yet another step toward "normalcy"!

No comments:

Post a Comment