Saturday, September 4, 2010

Saturday, September 4

Friday, September 3-Round 5, Day 3
Collin woke up fussing at 2:20 Friday morning. I changed his diaper (with all of the fluids that he gets all night, his diapers have to be changed regularly through out the night) but he still didn't go back to sleep. I layed down next to him, and every time I opened my eyes, he was laying there with his eyes open. Then around 3:20 he threw up. The nurse gave him his next dose of Benadryl and Reglan for the nausea, and I cleaned him up and tried to calm his tears, but it took about another hour for him to get back to sleep. He was fussy and cried a lot throughout the day. In the afternoon, I questioned whether his gums could be bothering him, so he had a dose of Tylenol, but it didn't seem to help. Then we tried a small dose of Ativan which can help with nausea; it's difficult to know what was bothering him since he can't tell me. The Ativan did seem to help him feel better. Friday night he received Methotrexate, the last dose of chemo for this round.

Saturday, September 4
Collin had another fussy, tearful morning this morning. He seemed eager for breakfast when it came, but then he didn't eat much. After breakfast, I got him dressed and ready for the day, and then he cuddled up on my lap and went to sleep. He napped for quite a while, and then when he woke up, he cried and cried, and was difficult to console. He eventually calmed down, but when I put him into his highchair for lunch, he gagged and spit up. I asked the nurse for another dose of Ativan, and then he seemed to feel better and was able to eat some lunch. This afternoon we took him for a ride around the hospital in the little blue car he liked so much the last time we were here. He seemed to enjoy it for the most part; he really likes going for elevator rides, and points to them every time we pass by them. Tonight he is resting pretty well so far, and is receiving Leucovorin, the rescue agent for the Methotrexate.

2 comments:

  1. Laura Leisner LenanderSeptember 5, 2010 at 4:13 PM

    I hope Collin is getting back into the swing of things. Poor bubby to have to go through what he is going through and cutting molars, etc. It is "funny" I recognize a couple of Collin's meds. I was given 3 rounds of methotrexate to resolve an ectopic pregnancy. I did not know it was used in cancer patients. Also - the IVIG is used for women going through IVF that have repeat pregnancy losses.
    Neya is such a good big sister. I hope she is doing well in school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has to be so hard:( We're praying that he'll (and you, Bill, and Neya) make it through! We're still praying!

    ReplyDelete