Friday, May 4, 2012

Friday, May 4, 2012

Today we met with Collin's oncologist and neurosurgeon at Hershey to get their input on Tuesday's MRI results. I guess I expected them to talk about the chances that the suspicious area was inflammation versus tumor. There was no way in a million years I expected what we were told.

Collin's neurosurgeon reviewed the MRI from Tuesday, and compared it with MRIs from the last eight months. Not only is he certain that the area in question is recurrent tumor, he said there is a total of four to five tumors in different areas of Collin's brain. In previous MRIs, the areas that are now tumors were not yet big enough to see or be questionable.  So it seems as though the 3F8 treatment wasn't effective, and now that Collin has been off the maintenance therapy that he did for six weeks before stopping it to do the 3F8 treatment, the tumors have had time to grow.

So, tonight Collin has gone back on the maintenance therapy. He will have another MRI on June 1. If that MRI shows improvement, he will continue on the maintenance therapy. If there is no improvement, or God forbid, the MRI is worse, Collin will go back on  more intense chemo, like what he did last November. In the meantime, we will begin looking into cranio-spinal radiation.

Tonight, I am in shock. Terrified. Heartbroken. Angry. Disappointed. Nauseous. My heart is in my throat, and it's hard to breathe. I can't focus on anything. I look at Collin's sweet face, listen to his infectious giggle, and wonder how the hell I will survive if he's ever taken away from me.

8 comments:

  1. Jenn,
    My constant thoughts, prayers and love are with you all, always.. Collin will come out with a victory!!! Please let me know if I can do anything for you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, take a deep breath. We will continue to pray. My heart goes out to you. I am scared, angry, and in shock with you, too. Collin is our hero. The only things to do are: Pray and fight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're here for you guys ANY TIME Jenn!!! Praying for peace and healing every day, and a triumphant defeat over this hateful disease. Please don't ever hesitate to call for help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maryanne SchreiberMay 5, 2012 at 6:06 PM

    Dear Jen, Bill & Neya (and of course Collin), I am so sorry to hear of the trial you've been going through. Having tried to help children, and siblings, endure therapy such as your "princey boy" has born I can so relate to the emotional shifts between hope, fear, relief and disappointmentthat you've been struggling with. I've been remembering all of you in my prayers for awhile, and will continue to do so. With love to all, Maryanne Schreiber

    ReplyDelete
  5. To all of you,
    We continue to be with you and think of you in this fight. Anything you need...anytime. In the meantime, you have inspired me to fight to raise awareness and money for all of our children fighting this horrible battle.
    JennO

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've been facebook friends for a bit due to us being cancer moms & knowing similar people and I just realized you had a blog for your beautiful little boy. I had no idea he was facing this again. I am so sorry. We will add him to our prayer list asap! I pray God gives you peace, understand and continues to watch over all of you. Of course I also pray for total and complete healing for Collin. God Bless - Ellie's Mom - Colleen :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry, Jenn...you, Collin, and the rest of your family are always in my prayers. Stay strong, he is a fighter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Kratzer Family,

    My heart breaks also with your news. Although we do not know each other, please be assured of my prayers for Collin and your entire family - prayers for strength and healing, and peace in your hearts. I know it is all so difficult to understand, and what you are going through with your beautiful little boy must feel unbearable. May Collin tolerate his new treatment well, and may it be the cure we are all praying for. Have hope - may each day be brighter!

    Love,
    Gerri S.

    ReplyDelete