Sunday, November 27, 2011

Sunday Update

We just saw the doctor, and learned that the bacteria causing Collin's infection is indeed e coli. E coli is normally present in the lower intestine, but the chemo kills the functional barrier that normally prevents the bacteria from getting into the bloodstream where it doesn't belong. Luckily we caught the infection early, and the bacteria usually responds well to antibiotics. Collin will be able to go home once his counts come up, the cultures come back negative, and if the antibiotic that works is one that can be given intravenously at home.

Earlier today Collin and Neya were playing and getting kind of rowdy, and Collin was getting a bit sweaty. The tegaderm dressing that was keeping his IV access to his mediport in place came off, and the needle came out of the port. So we had to numb the area for a bit, and then stick his port for the fourth time this week. As Neya watched the procedure, she said, "I would be screaming if it was me!" Collin cried a little, but she couldn't believe how calm he was. I have to admit, if it were me, I'm not so sure I wouldn't be screaming as well. Once again I'm in awe of Collin's bravery!!

1 comment:

  1. I never had a hero until Sean was moved to 7west, now Sean, Collin, and so many other children hold the title of being my hero's. It's very humbling to watch little one's handle things the way they do,and have to wonder if you could handle things the way they do.These little cancer warriors show strength beyond belief.....thank god they do. Don't forget Jenn, you,Bill,and Neya have shown more strength than the average parent. My respect and love goes out to all the little warriors and the families that have to endure this pain. Along with the nurses and doctor's that have devoted themselves to making our children survivors. Be strong, be brave and never surrender!!!

    ReplyDelete