Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Wednesday, December 15 - Day +63

My parents flew in from Houston today and will be with us for the next two weeks. My plan for today was to get Neya off to school, make vegetable soup in the crock pot, get the room ready for my parents, and finish some laundry, all before taking Collin to his speech therapy appointment at 4 pm. But you know what they say about the best laid plans...

At 2:30 this morning Neya came into our room crying. She said her head hurt and her throat was sore. I took her downstairs to take her temperature, which was 102. I gave her some children's Ibuprofen and got her settled back to bed. But a few minutes later she said she had to throw up, and ran for the bathroom. Sure enough...

At that point Collin was awake and screaming because I had left the room (he is still sleeping next to me in case he needs me during the night; we both sleep better that way). Neya wanted to come sleep in our room as well, but we didn't want her to be near Collin since she was sick, so Bill went to stay with her and I got Collin back to sleep. I took Collin's temperature, and thankfully it was 98.1. I managed to doze back off to sleep.

Around 7:00 am, Neya came in and told me she had diarrhea. Then Collin woke up, so I checked his temperature again, and now it was 100. I rushed around trying to get Collin and myself ready for the day, make sure our bags were packed, and put clean sheets on the bed for my parents. Collin and Neya were downstairs with Bill, and when I got downstairs Bill told me Collin had thrown up. I changed him, took his temperature again (it was now 101) and called the Hem/Onc office at Hershey Medical Center. They told us to come in to the clinic right away for blood cultures to be done to make sure that the new mediport wasn't infected. Then I called our pediatrician's office about Neya, and they said they could see her right away. So Bill took Neya to the pediatrician's office, and after I changed Collin's clothes again (he threw up a second time), I took Collin to the clinic.

Blood cultures were taken through the mediport (Collin did well again, just a little whimper as the port was accessed) and Collin got some IV fluids and an infusion of antibiotics. Since his ANC is 2700, we were allowed to go home (I expected to be admitted to the hospital, so going home was a nice surprise!) We will have to go back to the clinic tomorrow for another antibiotic infusion just to be safe, but it appears that Collin has the same (hopefully 24-hour) virus Neya has. By this evening Neya seemed to be feeling much better, so hopefully Collin won't be far behind. I managed to get home and make vegetable soup in plenty of time, and my parents arrived safely. I'm glad the day has ended better than it began!

1 comment:

  1. What a busy day! I'm sorry the kids are sick, but hopefully they'll be back to normal in time for your parent's visit. I'm sure it will be nice having them around. Have a wonderful Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete